4/16/08

Priorities

Oh my. I sincerely hope JJ isn't going to check in here today... He'll say "Oh, there she goes again with her 'Society is just falling apart speech'." I just logged on and glanced at the yahoo.com page which is my home page. I saw the list of top searches for the day and found myself shaking my head....Cynthia Nixon who is an actress from Sex in the City and revealing her struggle with breast cancer (I do have compassion for her) and Bill Cosby both topped the list over Pope Benedict XVI. Now if the pope was still at the Vatican preparing for Sunday Mass and tending to his normal duties, this would not surprise me. But he is here (!) in America and it's his birthday as well (at least that's what the number one news story said, "White House crowd sings Happy Birthday to the pope"). Interesting.

I'm not Catholic, but certainly this papal visit is huge news for America. I wonder....if Billy Graham were to visit the Vatican; would the Italians be more interested in news of last night's Italian Idol? hmmm. I'll try not to bring this up next time I talk to JJ. He'll appreciate that, I'm sure....




"Viva il Papa."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Pope!!!

Connie Barris said...

Good question....

my parents always said, never discuss politics and religion.. especially in the same conversation.. smile...

I now know why... that can cause more rifts....

but I never did listen to my parents too much... sorry mom / dad..

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Yes, it should be a big deal. He is also the Head of State for the Vatican. The Vatican is it's own city and country, not really part of Italy. And he is celebrating the 200th anniversary of 4 American churches.