4/19/08

Oklahoma City Bombing

Such a sad day this is.... Has it been thirteen years already?? Dedicated to the Oklahoma City Bombing, this website is worth checking out when you have time. Be sure to grab a Kleenex --- maybe you should keep the whole box beside you if you're tender-hearted.

When the bombing occurred, my parents were living about ten miles from downtown in Oklahoma City. They heard the bomb explode. Yes, they heard it!

In 1979, I had a part-time job in the heart of the city and used to meet my mother for lunch in the Murrah building once in a while. It was such a nice place. Mom worked at the Kerr-McGee company for a few years which was just a hop, skip and a jump away. (She always enjoyed being right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the business world.)

I'll never forget visiting the bombing site with my parents. The new fence was in place and filled to the brim with flowers, ribbons, notes from guests, toys, photos....all tokens of love. The silence was overwhelming. It screamed at you. Then we walked across the street. Amazingly there is a church there (St. Joseph's) and in the garden area of the church is a prayer corner. I remember coming face-to-face with a huge statue of Christ, the "Jesus Wept" shrine. He is facing away from what was the vacant lot (and is now the national memorial). His head is bowed and carved in the statue are tears. (I have never seen this included in any news story about the Oklahoma bombing.) The beautiful church was built in 1903. Although it was incredibly close to the explosion and heavily damaged, it ultimately survived.

I think you can make the same statement about the people of Oklahoma City. They were heavily damaged and as a city they have survived. And they know great strength is often found through tears.

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

Grace - Thank you so much for posting this... I remember sitting in traffic that day on I-495 when I heard President Clinton on the radio addressing the nation. I couldn't comprehend what he was saying. It was unimaginable... but true. We cannot forget lest we repeat our failures. We must remember each and everyone who was lost. God help us all.