2/2/09

Foibles

Actually, this title "Foibles" may not be a legitimate word. It's the term I've given to things I see on Facebook that irritate me. You know, little social errors. I've always had a bit of a pet peeve to hear people speak of dinner engagements or parties in front of those who've not been included. Poor JJ, he was raised forbidden of speaking of classmates' birthday parties. That can be quite challenging for a 2nd grader.

I understand the desire to share life, its joys, challenges, humor, etc on the ever-so-frequent status update line on Facebook. But to read of friends receiving Christmas cards and hearing comments of how cute their children were in the holiday photo, seeing other friends' plans for dinner and movies, seeing the photos of the parties for which we've missed invitations...I find myself sighing. And hoping I don't do the exact same thing. Most certainly, I will try to extend grace. Maybe their mamas weren't as neurotic when they were in grade school...

5 comments:

Beth E. said...

Preach on, sister! You are so right. :o)

sister sheri said...

I was thinking exactly the same thing last night!

Sorry I haven't been by lately... I was wondering why you hadn't posted in a while... and then I stop by and see that you have been! I track the blogs I follow via bloglines and for some reason it has updated your blog since December 30th!

I'll try to catch up with what I've been missing. And try to figure out what happened with bloglines...

With Love!

Unknown said...

Hi
Please explain this more clearly. I am a bit thick! Do you mean, you have been excluded from stuff and you see others celebrating?

Beth Herring said...

Very very wise words. have enjoyed looking at your past posts. I love the verse you have chosen for the top - John 1:16.

Blessing,
Beth

elizabeth embracing life said...

Now this is interesting to me and here is why. I think those who do see themselves on invite lists know the reason's such as....a birthday party for my two year old, or a young mommy playdate, or a dinner party with old friends and such. C, and I have had this conversation many times.

I was not invited to a baby shower once and I thought, that is odd I wonder why not. Only to discover it was only close friends and family so my feelings were not wounded.

I think we sometimes see oursevles more into a friendship than perhaps another may see and with this baby shower It was not hard for me to understand I was not in the inner circle. I clearly understand what you are saying, but I also know that from my friend's list I don't have 982 friends, which I just realized one of my friends has. LOL. And if you lived close I would invited you so often to everything, just to spend time with you that you would have to block anything incoming frome. LOL....p.s. I used the word Foibles in a talk I gave this past weekend. I love this word.